Skip to Content
Services Available in Spanish and Gujurati
Se Habla Español 832-514-4030
Earn Your Education in the U.S. We Seek to Pass Our Passion on and Advocate on Your Behalf

Houston Student Visa Attorney

Counsel from a Skilled Student Visa Lawyer

The J-1 visa is an exchange visitor visa that allows individuals to come to the U.S. and participate in an approved exchange program. J-1 visa status is largely associated with students, but is applicable to other individuals as well, including professors, teachers, medical graduates, even camp counselors, and au pairs.

No matter what your vocation, it may be necessary to seek legal counsel to achieve your J-1 status—or to maintain it if a complication arises. The knowledgeable Houston student visa lawyer at The Modi Law Firm, PLLC has advised numerous individuals about J-1 status.

Need assistance with your J-1 visa status? Contact The Modi Law Firm, PLLC today to start exploring your options.

J-1 Visa Requirements & Limitations

The J-1 visa is considered a non-immigrant visa, which means that those who are applying for and currently with this status are under certain restrictions dictated by their exchange program. Everything from their eligibility to the duration that they can stay in the U.S. is dependent on the parameters of that program.

Critical considerations for the J-1 visa include:

  • The exchange program must be approved by the U.S. Information Agency
  • The applicant must be qualified to participate in the exchange program
  • Student applicants must engage in full-time studies
  • Student applicants must prove that they have financial resources to participate in the exchange program
  • The applicant must demonstrate intent to return to the country of origin following the completion of the exchange program

There are several other requirements for the J-1 visa, including but not limited to, where the application is sent, whether the 2-year residence requirement which generally requires individuals granted J-1 to leave back to their home country can be waived, and the application forms, fees and processing times can be complex.

For these reasons, it is important to consult with a knowledgeable immigration attorney. Other restrictions and considerations may apply to J-1 visa applicants and holders who are not students. If you need assistance with your J-1 status, then the time to seek experienced and effective counsel is now. Reach out to a Houston visa lawyer today!

Related Reading

Use the online form to request a case evaluation from The Modi Law Firm, PLLC today.

What Sets Our Firm Apart?

Our team of skilled and understanding professionals proudly provides comprehensive and efficient services for all Clients.

  • Susham Modi Receives 10.0 Superb Rating at Avvo
  • Susham Modi Receives Texas Super Lawyers Rising Star 2018 - 2023 By Thomson Reuters
  • Susham Modi Was a Former Lawyer at Harvard University
  • Susham Modi Receives Best Lawyers of America 2017 By BL Rankings
  • Susham Modi Receives Top 10 Best Attorney in Texas 2021 By American Institute of Legal Counsel
  • Susham Modi Was a Former UH Law Professor

Contact The Modi Law Firm, PLLC Today!

All Consultations are Confidential

A member of our team will be in touch shortly to confirm your contact details or address questions you may have.

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy